- This event has passed.
Behavioral Health Providers Responsibility in Managing Medical Conditions: Making Clinical Improvements and Meeting Quality Metrics
March 22 @ 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm
Description: A 2017 RAND study found that 60 percent of American adults now live with at least one chronic condition; 42 percent have more than one. They account for hundreds of billions of dollars in health care spending every year. Individuals with serious mental illness are disproportionately impacted by our siloed physical and behavioral health systems with mortality rates 2–3 times higher than those of the general population. This disparity translates to life expectancies shortened by 10–28.5 years. It is critical that behavioral health providers understand the fundamentals of the physical health conditions that are major drivers of this early mortality so that basic health behavior interventions can be integrated into behavioral health services. Attendees will learn how to use the 5 As model to assess need and promote lifesaving behavior changes.
- Describe the 5 As Model used to promote behavior change
- Understand the scope of tobacco dependence
- Deliver brief tobacco dependence interventions
- Identify common self-management challenges with infectious diseases
- Articulate brief, evidence-based techniques to encourage patients to change their unhealthy behaviors
- Identify harm reduction techniques for HIV and Hep C among other infectious diseases
- Describe approaching engagement and services with an eye towards promoting equitable outcomes.
Content Level: Foundational
Course Interaction & System Requirements: This live webinar is fully interactive. Attendees may ask and answer questions throughout the presentation and participate in instructor-led discussions.
Course Completion and CE Requirements:
Health Management Associates, #1780, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Health Management Associates maintains responsibility for this course. ACE provider approval period: 09/22/2021 – 09/22/2022. Social workers completing this course receive 1 continuing education credit.
To earn CE credit, social workers must log in at the scheduled time, attend the entire course and complete an online course evaluation. To verify your attendance, please be sure to log in from an individual account and link your participant ID to your audio.
Application for CME credit has been filed with the American Academy of Family Physicians. This session is approved by AAFP for up to 1 AMA Level 1 CME credit.
Certificates of completion will be emailed within 10-12 business days of course completion.
- Operating Systems: Windows XP or higher, macOS 9 or higher, Android 4.0 or higher
- Internet Browser: Internet Explorer 9.0 or higher, Google Chrome, Firefox 10.0 or higher
- Broadband Internet connection: Cable, high-speed DSL & any other medium that is internet accessible
Speakers: Suzanne Daub, LCSW (HMA) & Kima Taylor, MD, MPH